“God doesn’t bother telling you
not to do things that you’re not driven to do.”
-Ben Shapiro (my favorite Jew)
“There hath no temptation taken you,
but such as is common to man.”
-1st Corinthians 10:13
I do not think that anymore.
Still Latter-day Saint/Mormon!
I do feel bad that I used to have this condescending attitude toward Christians who choose not to follow or participate in one certain denomination or religious sect. But here’s the thing:
If my own faith is centered around Christ, with all other doctrines and details being merely peripheral (which is true of the Latter-day Saint theology), why should I doubt the sincerity and piety of others whose beliefs are essentially the same?
“And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.”
2nd Nephi 25:26
Yeppers, that pretty much says it all. And even though that passage is Mormon specific, I’ll bet that pretty much all believers agree with its general message. So sorry I ever thought the way I did, friends.
Hope you can forgive me…
*Just a note: I still do think that it is possible to be too general in moralism and even underly-dogmatic (is that even a word?). Read Jewish NY Times writer David Brooks’s thoughts on this idea here, as it specifically relates to the Book of Mormon Broadway musical.
Truths to Consider:
1) WE ARE ALL ARTISTS! (here’s Prezident Uchtdorf’s take on this…)
2) We ain’t all gonna make it big (and that’s okay, ya’ll!)
3) Stem of Jesse (Jessica!) in the scriptures
4) What insight “The Merchant of Venice” taught me about the HBO filth series “Girls”
5) My take on “The Great Gatsby” in 3 sentences.
6) Haven’t yet written about Mark Twain’s ever famous and influential piece (Huck Finn). Stay. Tuned.
7) What Amanda Bynes (indirectly) taught me about Mormon temples.
8) “American Idol” certainly has produced some talent, but overall is waaaaay over-rated.
9) Hozaboutcha take an exodus from this blog and go read about what Moses says about idols? (here!)
10) Katherine loves wordplay. And admit it, she’s pretty darn awesome at it, huh? 🙂
(muuuuch better, darlin’)
(Kath, refer to your title in an awesome way that only you can…)
this song is one of the best in recent history. just sayin’
So friends please take it to heart, when I say to go make some art!
but I never let it get me down!
15% of me wants to see “The Book of Mormon” musical,
while 85% of me does NOT:
Pretty simple which one will win out.
People have strong feelings about “The Book of Mormon” musical. A ton has been written about it. Here are (in my intelligent opinion) 3 of the best insights:
Official LDS spokesperson. I simultaneously admire and envy this man (and his career) so much.
Plus I could listen to him read the phone-book.
The writers of the musical (South Park guys) said they researched the faith for 7 years. Brother Otterson talks about all the things the Mormons actually DID in Africa in those 7 years. Cool!
He is a Jewish writer for the NY Times whom I admire very much. He talks about how only strict doctrinal religions (like Mormonism!) can survive. All other half-heartedly, generic attempts don’t really do any good.
This piece points out that it shouldn’t be acceptable to ridicule Mormonism.
#we’re all a little curious
#the percentages might change a little bit if someone paid for my theater ticket, airfare, and lodging to NY. I could write a review of it and put it on this blog. just sayin’